- Contact Us
Clean Water for 3,500 People in Cameroon | Breaking Ground
We're excited to introduce you to our latest partner, Breaking Ground. We're partnering with Breaking Ground through a $16,767 matching grant to address the water security of 3,500 people in Baleveng, Cameroon.
This partnership will enable Breaking Ground and their local partner, RIDEV, to build an electric pump and water reservoir, and implement a local hygiene program. This project will go a long ways to help to ensure safer, healthier lives for those living in the community.
Who is Breaking Ground?
Breaking Ground partners with Cameroonians to achieve lasting solutions to their self-identified needs by investing in local knowledge, empowering women, and promoting economic development.
Breaking Ground believes that a project’s long-term sustainability depends on the investment of the local population. This investment cannot be fostered through the work of a foreign entity, but must develop through a collective recognition of the identified problem and a commitment to solve it. They believe that by empowering Cameroonian communities to implement their own grassroots projects, they help enable sustainable, bottom-up development.
ODW + Breaking Ground Partnership
In the community of Baleveng in west Cameroon there is an urgent need for improved drinking water and for a health education program. Currently all 3,500 members of the community gather their water from a small spring they must wade into to fetch water. In 2011 alone there were 650 documented cases of water-related diseases in the area.
The community has commissioned a number of health studies, formed a development committee, planned the construction project, and committed to raising a portion of the funds. This level of commitment and organization makes Baleveng a perfect example of grassroots mobilization.
The goal of the project is to improve the health of the community as it is related to water born diseases. This will be accomplished through constructing the well to provide potable water in conjunction with a water treatment education program. This project will not only improve the community’s health but will build the community’s confidence to envision, organize and implement future development projects.
This matching grant will enable Breaking Ground and the community of Baleveng to build an electric pump and water reservoir that will impact 3,500 people in the community. Breaking Ground will also work with the Research Institute for Development and local health centers to organize an educational program; this program will teach basic hygiene as well as water treatment techniques to comprehensively maximize the impact of the project.
**The matching grant is for a total of $16,767; 40% ($6,707) of that total will be raised through this campaign, the remaining 60% will come from ODW's Water Fund.
How You Can Help.
- Calculate and donate your day's wages. Simply, donate any amount.
- Give up your birthday and start a campaign.
- (business, nonprofit, school, etc.)
- What's your idea? Start an Idea For A Cause campaign.
- Help spread the word. Share ODW with your friends & family through email, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Our Pledge To You.
100% of your donations (minus credit card fees) will go directly to this project. As usual, we'll report back to our community about the progress of the funding and once funded, will report back with pictures, videos, and stories to convey the impact of this project.
Thérèse Mada, 51 - "When we began raising money to build the well three years ago, we hoped we would be able to solve the problem quickly. But we realized we would need to raise money for at least seven years. But then we met with Breaking Ground, and they brought us hope that we would be able to complete the well".
Mabelle Nguedia, 20 - "I often have to get up at 2 A.M. to make sure I am able to draw water for the day, before it gets muddy. Also, in the village there are many cases of disease caused by microbes in the water. It’s a huge risk for everyone, but we don’t have a choice. You need water to cook, to wash; water is life".
Ways to Donate
Use this page to select an organization and donate online using your credit card.
Checks should be made payable to: One Day's Wages. Please write "Giving Fund" or the specific project/fund you are giving towards.
Wire donations, stock transfers, or estate planning. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing address:One Day's Wages
1301 2nd Ave. Suite 3600
Seattle, WA 98101
ODW is a 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax-deductible. 100% of your donations (minus credit card transaction costs) go directly to specific projects to alleviate global poverty.