- Contact Us
Nutritional Support for Families in Guatemala
We're so excited about our new partnership with Primeros Pasos to address malnutrition in rural Guatemala where access to quality health care is limited and malnutrition is most severe due to higher levels of poverty.
Through this 80/20* matching grant for a total of $9,860, Primeros Pasos will be able to provide treatment, nutritional support and education for 30 chronically malnourished children under 2 years old, as well as 20 pregnant women.
Who is Primeros Pasos?
Primeros Pasos is a non-profit, independent organization with a comprehensive outlook on health care. With the collaboration of health professionals, health educators, volunteers, and community leaders, Primeros Pasos offers quality and affordable health care and health education to the rural, underserved communities of the Palajunoj Valley of Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.
Just over 50% of Guatemala’s population is currently malnourished, the highest rate in the Western hemisphere and third highest in the world. Poverty plays a large part in this widespread problem, as over half of Guatemala’s population lives below the poverty line. The majority of the extremely poor are indigenous people of Mayan descent living in remote and underdeveloped areas without access to healthcare, education, fresh foods or safe water.
ODW + Primeros Pasos
We're coming alongside Primeros Pasos' Nutritional Recuperation Program to support 30 children under 2 years old identified as malnourished, as well as 20 pregnant women by providing tailored medical and nutritional treatment along with practical nutrition and health classes to empower mothers with knowledge and tools needed to maintain healthy diets for themselves and their families.
The project will also include home needs assessments to evaluate the community's living conditions. Through a partnership between Primeros Pasos and Habitat for Humanity Guatemala (HFHG), this project will provide families with "Healthy Home Kits" which provide water filters, clean latrines, and smokeless stoves, as needed. With their integrated health support model, they ensure that the women and children stay healthy, have access to a better diet and improved hygiene. This is especially important for the children so they can start their lives with a healthy base to help them realize their full potential.
How You Can Help:
- Calculate and donate your One Day's Wages or any amount.
- Pledge Your birthday for this campaign, or your Idea.
- Partner with us through your Business, School, or Place of Worship.
- Share this campaign throughout your social network.
* An 80/20 matching grant means that ODW will provide 80% of the funds for this project when the other 20% is raised through this campaign.
Ways to Donate
Use this page to select an organization and donate online using your credit card.
Checks should be made payable to: One Day's Wages. Please write "Giving Fund" or the specific project/fund you are giving towards.
Wire donations, stock transfers, or estate planning. For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing address:One Day's Wages
1301 2nd Ave. Suite 3600
Seattle, WA 98101
ODW is a 501(c)(3) organization. All donations are tax-deductible. 100% of your donations (minus credit card transaction costs) go directly to specific projects to alleviate global poverty.