More than 2 billion people live in countries experiencing high water stress.
People with access to water or handwashing stations
Wells, filters, tanks or water points installed
People educated on hygiene practices
WHY CLEAN WATER?
Water is life, and clean water is at the core of sustainable development. Water and sanitation projects are deeply interwoven with other sustainable development goals. Improving access to clean water increases a child’s ability to stay in school instead of walking miles to collect water every day. Improving sanitation also improves health and reduces the risk of waterborne or diarrheal diseases. Building new wells and water collection systems provide jobs within communities. And finally, increased access to water can help provide economic and agricultural sustainability.
- 4.2 billion people lack safely managed sanitation services.
- 2.2 billion people lack access to safely managed drinking water services.
- By 2025, 1.8 billion people are expected to be living in countries or regions with absolute water scarcity
- 279,000 children under five die every year from diarrheal diseases.
- About 40% of the global population–3 billion people–do not have a handwashing facility with soap and water at home.
- Reducing the time it takes to fetch water from 30 to 15 minutes increased girls’ school attendance by 12% according to a study in Tanzania.
Daniel received a grant from ODW's partner Zoe Ministry to start a business selling fruits and vegetables. With his profits, Daniel expanded his business selling bananas, eggplants and onions. With his savings, he bought three goats (he now owns five) and five hens for his siblings. He took a group loan to buy one pig. Daniel grows cassava, sweet potatoes, beans, sorghum, arrowroots, Irish potatoes and maize and has a kitchen garden.
Romulo Gonzalez, a corn farmer in Guatemala, switched to Semilla Nueva's bio-fortified corn seed to meet his family’s needs. By planting the fortified corn seed F3, farmers are able to grow enough nutritious corn to feed their entire family with tasty, iron, protein, and zinc enriched tortillas for a year.
We choose our partners wisely. Each organization goes through a rigorous vetting process before we approve a grant.
You can be confident in your giving. 100% of your donation (minus credit card fees) goes directly to projects in the field.
SEE YOUR IMPACT
Transparency is important to us. We report back on all of our projects. See the impact you are making across the globe.